The catwalk, easy to learn but can take a lifetime to master. However, what makes runway technique so interesting to me is how requires both outward and internal calibration. Physical balance, inner confidence and a sparkling personality are all necessary to make a charming performance. Whether you are in a haute couture assemble or voguing in a living room, here are a few tips to get you on the road to your inner diva.
7 Tips For The Perfect Runway Walk
- Posture: Think tall. While walking, stand up straight leaning slightly back so your legs can go first. Keep your toes pointed forward, so they aren’t turned out. Then walk with one foot in front of the other as if walking on a tightrope.
- Hips: Most people think you need to do a lot of hip swaying. Your hips will move naturally so exaggeration isn’t necessary.
- Arms: Let your arms swing naturally. However, take care they are not too stiff or have big movement. The clothing you have on will help you decide what to do with your hands, you may need to hold something or stick one in a pocket.
- Attitude!: Be commanding and flirty. This will make you fun for the audience.
- Rhythm: Get into a rhythm and let the loud music be your uplifting motivation. When a natural bounce to the beat happens add to it by thinking about holding your head high and keeping your shoulders back.
- Eyes: You should never look down. Always look straight ahead at the cameras or pick a spot on the wall ahead of you so you won’t get distracted by anything else distracting around you.
- Posing: When you reach the end of the runway pause then lean on one hip with lots of attitude.
Pro runway veteran Gisele Bundchen showing how the catwalk is done.
By following these simple tips you’ll be on your way to a natural, confident and fun runway presence to make all the designers clothes look amazing or your living room look like a major fashion event.